Installing GFI WebMonitor
This section describes how to run the installation of GFI WebMonitor.
Important notes to consider before installation
Before running installation wizard, ensure that:
- You are logged on using an account with administrative privileges.
- The machine where GFI WebMonitor is going to be installed, meets the specified system requirements. For more information refer to System requirements.
- The listening port (default 8080) is not blocked by your firewall.
- If you are currently using a previous version of GFI WebMonitor, you can upgrade your current installation while at the same time retaining all your existing configuration settings. For more information refer to Upgrading from previous versions.
- A license key is required. Register for a GFI WebMonitor trial to get an evaluation key or log in to the GFI Customer Area if you already have a key.
- Disable third-party antivirus and backup software from scanning the installation folder of GFI WebMonitor.
- Save any pending work and close all open applications on the machine.
- On installation GFI WebMonitor performs a number of operations that require high CPU usage and downloads a large volume of updates. It is recommended to install GFI WebMonitor during off-peak hours and leave it overnight to perform these actions.
Running the installation wizard
- Logon using administrator credentials on the machine where you want to install GFI WebMonitor.
- Right-click the GFI WebMonitor installer and choose Properties. From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Launch the GFI WebMonitor installer.
- Ensure you have no Windows programs running and click Next.
- The installer checks if required components are installed, and automatically installs missing components.
- Choose whether you want the installation wizard to search for a newer build of GFI WebMonitor on the GFI website and click Next.
- Read the licensing agreement. To proceed with the installation select I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Key in the user name or IP address of users that need administrative access to the GFI WebMonitor web interface and click Next. Access can be managed later on from Settings > Advanced Settings > UI Access ControlA feature that allows or denies users access to resources, for example, Internet access..
Enter only users that need access to configure GFI WebMonitor. Do not enter IPs of normal users that will be proxied through GFI WebMonitor. More than one user or machine can be specified by separating entries with semicolons ‘;’
- Specify the Installation Folder where GFI WebMonitor will be installed. The default path is
C:\Program Files\GFI\WebMonitor\. Click Next.
- When installing GFI WebMonitor in the Microsoft Forefront TMGMicrosoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway. A Microsoft product that provides firewall and web proxy services. It also enables administrators to manage Internet access through policies. It is the successor of the Microsoft ISA Server and is part of the Microsoft Forefront line of business security software. server, choose the type of Microsoft Forefront TMG installation mode. For more information refer to Deploying GFI WebMonitor in a Microsoft Forefront TMG environment.. Choose between these two options and click Next.
|Register as Microsoft Forefront TMG plug-in||Use this option if you want to keep Microsoft Forefront TMG as proxy and use GFI WebMonitor only for web filtering. In this setup, you have GFI WebMonitorworking as a plug-in of the Microsoft Forefront TMG Server. For more information refer to Installing GFI WebMonitor as a plug-in GFI WebMonitor.|
|Install as a proxy in parallel to Microsoft Forefront TMG||Use this option to have GFI WebMonitor installed as the proxy running in parallel with Microsoft Forefront TMG. In this setup you have two independent software running in parallel. For more information refer to Installing GFI WebMonitor in parallel with Microsoft Forefront TMG.|
- Click Install to start the installation, and wait for the installation to complete.
- Click Finish to finalize setup.
- After the installation, the GFI WebMonitor Configuration Wizard is launched automatically when opening the Interface for the first time. For more information refer to Using the Post-installation Configuration Wizard.