Configure browser proxy settings on the clients' machine
GFI WebMonitor acts as a Proxy ServerA server or software application that receives requests from client machines and responds according to filtering policies configured in GFI WebMonitor. to provide a connection between your internal network and the Internet. This means that traffic from client machines needs to be redirected through the GFI WebMonitor server.
This feature is not available for GFI WebMonitor installed as a plug-in for Microsoft Forefront TMGMicrosoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway. A Microsoft product that provides firewall and web proxy services. It also enables administrators to manage Internet access through policies. It is the successor of the Microsoft ISA Server and is part of the Microsoft Forefront line of business security software..
This can be achieved by performing the following:
- On the client machine, go to Control Panel and select Internet Options.
- Click the Connections tab.
- Click LANLocal Area Network. settings.
- Check Use a proxy server for your LAN checkbox.
- In the Address field, key in the proxy server name or IP address of the GFI WebMonitor machine.
- In the Port field, enter the port used (default = 8080).
- Select the option Bypass proxy server for local addresses.
Once the evaluation period is over, a more permanent solution to configure the browser's settings can be used. The alternatives are:
- Using a GPO <![CDATA[ ]]>
- Using WPAD
- Using Transparent Proxy