How do I import PST files into my Kerio MailServer account?
Outlook uses PST files for local mail storage. You may have these from previous POP3Post Office Protocol 3 - A protocol used by local email clients to retrieve emails from mailboxes over a TCP/IP connection. accounts. They are not necessary when using IMAPInternet Message Access Protocol - One of the two most commonly used Internet standard protocols for e-mail retrieval, the other being POP3. or the Kerio Outlook Connector. This article will describe the method to import your PST files to your Kerio Outlook Connector account.
It is assumed you have a properly working Kerio Outlook Connector account. The steps given are for Outlook 2003. Also, because of the way Kerio MailServer displays its message list to IMAP/Webmail clients, imported items will all be dated as of the time the import occured. This problem exists only in versions prior to 6.1.0. All current versions of Kerio MailServer are not affected. Messages displayed in a list are properly dated.
- Using Tools menu > E-mail Accounts, create a new POP3 account. Leave the mailserver information blank, or use invalid information.
- After the account has been created, return to Tools menu > E-mail Accounts. View your accounts. Highlight the POP3 account you've created.
- Find the "New Outlook Data File" next to "Deliver new e-mail to the following location". Click the "New Outlook Data File" button. Select "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)".
- Browse to your .pst file and select it. Information on the PST file will appear. Change the Name: field to a new value, such as "Import Old Mail". Press OK to finish.
- In the E-mail Accounts window, change "Deliver new e-mail to the following location" to the name of the PST you've just selected. Do this only for your POP3 account. Press 'Finish'.
- Go to File menu > Import. Select "Import from another program or file", then select "Personal Folder File". On the next screen, select the PST file you wish to import.
- Choose also how to handle duplicate items. In the default case you will not have duplicates; choose "Do not import duplicates".
- On the next screen, choose the folder that you've created for the POP3 account as the "folder to import from". Make sure "Include subfolders" is checked.
- Select "Import items into the same folder in: ", and choose "Kerio Outlook Connector Store" from the drop-down box.
- Press "Finish". Your items will now import. Depending on the size of your .pst file, this make take several minutes to hours.
- After this has completed, check your Kerio Outlook Connector account to make sure they imported as expected.
- When you are satisfied with the import, remove the POP3 account by going to Tools menu > E-mail accounts.
If you migrate from POP3 (local store) to IMAP on KMS, or IMAP to KOC, you will lose the datestamps. Also rules and flags are not imported when importing mails from Outlook Express to Kerio MAPI.