Resetting the administrator password without the helpdesk access
Resetting the administrator passwords may be necessary if the admin user has forgotten the password or cannot log in due to the
Invalid username or password error.
Another admin user can reset the admin password through the helpdesk. However, if you do not have access to the helpdesk, you can reset the password using the MySQL query.
This topic provides instructions on how to reset the administrator password through MySQL when you do not have access to the helpdesk.
If you have a Download license and have installed GFI HelpDesk on your web server, you need direct access to MySQL to reset a password.
Follow the below steps:
- Use the following MySQL query to fetch a list of your staff users:
- Identify the staff's username that requires a password reset and then tailor the following MySQL query as per the username obtained:
FROM swstaff sw
JOIN swstaffgroup sg
ON ( sw.staffgroupid = sg.staffgroupid );
SET staffpassword = Sha1('abc123!@#')
WHERE username = 'admin';
The above query resets the password of the
admin staff user to
- If none of the users on your account can log in due to the
Invalid username or passworderror, please click the Submit a Ticket button at the top of your support page to reach out to our support team.
- If you are a GFI HelpDesk On-Demand customer, another admin user can reset the password through the helpdesk.
- You can follow the instructions detailed in the Changing the Staff or Admin Password Through the Helpdesk article.
- If there is only one admin user on the account, please contact the customer support team by clicking the Submit a Ticket button on your support page and we can help you regain access to your helpdesk.
- Please send us your Order ID or Transaction ID as part of the authentication process.