Migrating archive data between databases
GFI FaxMaker includes a tool to export archived data from one database format to another.
This tool is useful in various scenarios, including:
- When using a Microsoft Access archive database with GFI FaxMaker version 2014 or earlier, and upgrading to version 2015 or later to use a FirebirdA free, open source SQL based database with a 10GB size limit. GFI FaxMaker can be configured to archive faxes and SMS to Firebird. database.
- Changing your database format, for example, upgrade from Firebird to Microsoft SQL.
- Copy all GFI FaxMaker archived data to GFI Archiver.
Archive data can be copied between the following database formats:
|Source database type||Destination database type|
|Microsoft Access||Microsoft SQL|
|Microsoft Access||GFI Archiver|
|Microsoft SQL||Microsoft SQL|
|Microsoft SQL||GFI Archiver|
- GFI FaxMaker Reports and Archive Viewer use the currently active archive database as configured in the GFI FaxMaker Configuration. Use the Migration tool to ensure that all archive data is included in the active database,
- The Migration tool copies the archive data from the source database to the destination, so the data in the source database is retained.
- Migration of data can take a long time depending on various factors such as the size of the data to migrate, disc read and write speeds and network bandwidth when migrating data to remote servers.
- When a migration process is run and then run again using the same source and destination databases, data is not duplicated on the destination database if the source database is not altered in any way. If source database is renamed, content altered or the re-migration run on a different server, data may become duplicated on the destination database..
Using the Database Migrator tool
- From the GFI FaxMaker Configuration, select the Archiving node.
- From the right pane, click Migration Tool to open the GFI FaxMaker Database Migrator and click Next.
- Select a source database to copy GFI FaxMaker data from. Choose the database type and specify the source database details. Click Next.
- Select the destination database where data from the source database will be copied. Choose the database type and specify the destination database details. Click Next.
- Click Next to start migration. On completion click Close.