Moving GFI Directory user list to a different server
This topic describes how to move your existing GFI Directory installation to a new server while retaining your current user list. Run this process before migrating
- This procedure is applicable for the latest versions of GFI FaxMaker and GFI Directory only.
- Both the old instance and the new instance of GFI Directory must be running the latest version which is available with the latest version of GFI FaxMaker. For more information refer to Upgrading GFI FaxMaker.
- This information is not applicable when GFI FaxMaker is currently installed in Active Directory mode.
Before moving your installation, ensure that you are running the latest version of GFI FaxMaker on the old server. If an upgrade is required, upgrade the old GFI FaxMaker installation. For more information refer to Upgrading GFI FaxMaker.
Open an elevated command line window and run the following commands in the sequence shown, hitting carriage return after each command:
activate instance GFIDirectoryDataStore
create full GFIDirectoryDataStoreBackup
On completion, take note of the backup location. The data files are stored in this location.
Copy the backup files generated in step 2 above:
- Open the backup file location in Windows Explorer. This is usually stored in this folder: c:\windows\system32\GFIDirectoryDataStoreBackup\
- Copy the file adamntds.dit.
Ensure that the new server meets or exceeds the GFI FaxMaker system requirements.
Retrieve the GFI Directory installer from the current GFI FaxMaker installation. Go to
<GFI FaxMaker installation folder>\GFIDS\ and copy
gfidirectory.exe to the new server.
Run the installer on the new server to install GFI Directory.
After installing GFI Directory, copy the user data to the new server:
- Stop the following GFI Directory services from the Services applet:
GFI Directory Services
- Open the folder:
<GFI Directory installation folder>\GFIinstance\data\
- Delete all files in this folder.
- Move the file adamntds.dit copied in step 2 to this folder.
- Start the services that were previously stopped.
Ensure that the existing GFI FaxMaker users are present in the new instance of GFI Directory.
- In an internet browser, go to
- Go to Manage > Users to view the list of users.
- Ensure that users and user information was migrated successfully.
You may now proceed to continue migration of GFI FaxMaker. For more information refer to How to move your GFI FaxMaker installation to a different server.