Upgrading from version 2012
This topic describes how to upgrade a GFI EventsManager 2012 installation to the latest version while retaining all settings.
Important notes when upgrading
- Follow these notes and instructions to upgrade your current GFI EventsManager installation to the latest version while retaining all settings.
- Upgrade is not reversible; you cannot downgrade to the previous version that you had installed.
- Login to the GFI Customer Area to get a new license key. Click the blue key icon on the right and select Upgrade License Key, or click Renewal to extend your maintenance agreement.
- Log in to the GFI Customer Area and get a new license key. If you forgot your GFI account credentials, click here.
- During upgrade, GFI EventsManager services and operation are stopped.
- Check the system requirements before proceeding with upgrade. For more information refer to System requirements.
- Installation files that are customized may be overriden during upgrade. Backup modified files and restore them after upgrade. Common custom files in the GFI EventsManager installation folder include \Data\scan_profile.trc for custom SQL traces and \Data\Reports\reportsheader.xml for custom reports.
- Ensure that you are logged in as Administrator or using an account with administrative privileges.
- Before starting installation, save and close all open applications on the machine.
- Disable anti-virus software on the server machine during the upgrade installation. Re-enable it once upgrade is complete.
- Export the GFI EventsManager configuration. For more information refer to Exporting configurations to a file.
- Click Download Upgrade above to download the latest build on the server where GFI EventsManager is currently installed.
- Download the latest build of GFI EventsManager on the server where GFI EventsManager is currently installed. Go to http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=esm_trial, click Login and key in your GFI Account credentials.
- Right-click the newly downloaded installer and choose Properties. From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Launch the newly downloaded installer and follow on-screen instructions to first install any pre-requisites, such as the GFI Database Server if installed on the local server.
- The wizard now uninstalls the currently installed version of GFI EventsManager. Click Yes to confirm the deletion of files.
- On uninstall completion, the wizard runs the latest version of the GFI EventsManager installer. Follow on-screen instructions to complete all wizard steps. When prompted, use the license key obtained from the GFI Customer Area.
- When installation is complete and GFI EventsManager detects an Internet connection, it automatically attempts to download product updates from GFI updates servers.
- Choose the server that hosts the GFI Database Server. Key in localhost if this is installed on the local server, or the computer name or IP address if the database is hosted on a remote computer.
- Import the configuration file that was previously exported. For more information refer to Importing configurations from a file.
- Test the installation to ensure that all the components were successfully installed.
For more information refer to Testing the installation.