GFI Archiver uses the journaling feature of Microsoft® Exchange Server to get a copy of every email and store them in its Archive StoresA collection of email sources, email metadata and search indexes within GFI Archiver.
The process of adding a new journaling address consists of two steps:
- Create a new mailbox dedicated for journaling.
- Configure journaling in Microsoft® Exchange.
Select the journaling type that is available on your Microsoft Exchange Server. For more information refer to Preparing the Journal Mailbox in Microsoft® Exchange Server 2007/2010/2013/2016.
Set up standard journaling
1. Launch Microsoft® Exchange admin center.
2. Click servers node, then click on databases node.
4. Click Maintenance node.
5. In the Journal recipient field, click browse and select the Journal mailbox created in Step 1 above.
6. Click save.
Set up premium journaling
- Launch Microsoft® Exchange Admin Center.
- Click recipients node.
- Under mailboxes, select New from the toolbar.
- Select New user and enter the details for the new user to which the new journaling mailbox is assigned.
- Click save.
- Launch the Microsoft® Exchange admin center.
- Navigate to Compliance management > Journal rules and click the + button.
- Under Send journal reports to:, key in the journal mailbox created in Step 1 above.
- Under Name, type a name for the rule. The name should be unique in the organization.
- In the field If the message is sent or received from... select one of the options available:
|Apply to all messages||This option archives all email sent or received. Use this option when compliance is required from your organization.|
|A Specific user or group||This option enabled archiving to certain users or groups only. This option is preferred when the priority is to limit storage usage. Select the user or group in the next screen.|
- In the field Journal the following messages select the scope of the rule clicking the drop-down arrow.
- Click save.