Installing GFI Archiver
To install GFI Archiver:
- Right-click the GFI Archiver installer and choose Properties. From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Launch the installer, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
- In the Choose Setup Language dialog, select the language you want to use during installation and click OK.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- (Optional) If the Installation Wizard detects any required components missing, the prerequisites are listed in the Installation Requirements window. Click Install Components to let the Wizard install the components for you or click Cancel to install them manually. Click Next.
If all installation requirements are met, this step is skipped. For more information refer to System requirements.
- If you want GFI Archiver to check for a newer build other than the one being installed, select Check for a newer build of GFI Archiver on the GFI web site and click Next. Otherwise, select Do not check for a new build and click Next.
Checking for a newer build requires an active Internet connection.
- Read the license agreement and select I accept the terms in the license agreement option. Click Next to continue.
- Choose the user directory service to use with GFI Archiver. GFI Archiver supports Microsoft Active DirectoryA technology that provides a variety of network services, including LDAP-like directory services. and GFI Directory services. It is recommended to use Microsoft Active Directory when available. Select from the following options depending on the environment and deployment scenario:
|Use the detected Microsoft Active Directory Service in your network||This option is available when installing a fresh GFI Archiver installation on a machine joined to a Microsoft Active Directory instance. This is the recommended user directory service when available, since user management would be centralized in Active Directory and does not require the installation of GFI Directory.|
|Install and use GFI Directory Service on this machine||This option is available when installing a fresh GFI Archiver installation on a machine joined to a Microsoft Active Directory instance. Choose this option to manage users in GFI Directory rather than Active Directory. This is NOT the recommended option.|
|Use the detected Microsoft Active Directory / GFI Directory Service in your network||These options are shown when installing a fresh GFI Archiver installation on a machine that includes both GFI Directory and is joined to a Microsoft Active Directory instance. Choose the user directory service to use.|
|Upgrade the local GFI Directory Service (Recommended)||This option is available when installing a new installation or an upgrade on a machine where an older version of GFI Directory is installed. Choose this option to upgrade the installed GFI Directory to the latest version, and then resume installing GFI Archiver. Alternatively, choose Skip upgrade process option to retain the installed version of GFI Directory and continue with the GFI Archiver installation.|
When installing a new GFI Archiver instance on a machine that is not joined to an Active Directory instance and does not include GFI Directory, click Install to deploy GFI Directory. When the installation is complete, the GFI Archiver installation resumes automatically.
- Click Next to continue by installing GFI Archiver to the default folder. For an alternative location, click Change and select a new installation path.
- If you want to change the default values for the Website and Virtual Directory Alias, modify the values in the Website and Virtual Directory Alias fields. These values define which URL you use to access GFI Archiver. Click Next.
- (Optional) If User Account Control (UAC) is enabled on the server where you are installing GFI Archiver, the installation Wizard warns you to disable UAC or launch Internet Explorer with Run as Administrator. For more information, refer to the following Knowledge Base article: http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=MAR_UserAccountsControl.
- Click Install.
- On completion, click Finish to close the installation wizard.