How to backup GFI FaxMaker settings
This topic describes how to backup your GFI FaxMaker configuration.
- These instructions apply to the latest version of GFI FaxMaker only.
- Log on to the GFI FaxMaker server using an account with administrative privileges.
- GFI FaxMaker services are stopped during backup. Consequently fax transmission is also stopped and no faxes are sent or received.
- When GFI FaxMaker machine is virtualized, it is recommended to create a snapshot of the virtualized machine. This allows to restore previous GFI FaxMaker version easily.
GFI FaxMaker services must be stopped when backing up the configuration. When using a backup software to automate the backup, ensure that the selected backup software stops these services before the backup job starts. If services or files are open and/or running, the backup may be unusable. If this is the case, a manual backup is recommended.
When stopping services manually, use either the Services applet or create a batch file using the
net stop command.
GFI FaxMaker services to stop:
GFI FaxMaker Fax Server
GFI FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent
GFI FaxMaker Attendant
Brooktrout Boston Host Service
- Older versions of GFI FaxMaker utilize different service names. In this case, stop all services with a name that start with
- When services are stopped, no faxes or SMS are sent or received.
Copy the following files and folders that reside in the GFI FaxMaker installation folder.
Unless modified manually during installation, by default, GFI FaxMaker installs to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\
It is recommended to take note of the installation path since if the backup needs to be used, the files need to be deployed to the same path (either on the same or on a different server).
Files and folders to backup:
|All files with extension FST||File||For example: fmdb_rul.fst and fmdevcfg.fst.|
|File capi.dev||File||If available.|
|logs\rcvlog.fmlogger.txt||File||This is the default location of log files. If you changed the default location, copy the file from that folder.|
|logs\sendlog.fmlogger.txt||File||This is the default location of log files. If you changed the default location, copy the file from that folder.|
|coverpge||Folder||Include all folder contents.|
|data||Folder||Include all folder contents.|
Include all folder contents. This is the default location of the Firebird database fax archive feature. If you changed the default location, backup that folder as well.
Start the services that were stopped in Step 1.
When starting services manually, use either the Services applet or create a batch file using the
net start command.