The minimum hardware requirements for GFI MailEssentials are:
- Minimum: 2Ghz
- Recommended: 2GHz with multiple cores
Available Memory (RAM)
- Minimum: 1.2GB
- Recommended: 2GB
Free Disk Space
- Minimum: 6GB
- Recommended: 10GB
Hardware requirements depend on a range of factors including email volume, and number of Anti Virus engines enabled in GFI MailEssentials. The requirements specified above are required for GFI MailEssentials only.
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft® Windows Server 2016 - Standard, Essentials and DataCenter editions. For more information refer to http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=ME_Win2016
- Microsoft® Windows Server 2012 - Standard, Essentials and DataCenter editions, including R2. For more information refer to http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=ME_Win2012
- Windows® Server 2008 - Standard or Enterprise, including R2 (x86 or x64). For more information refer to http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=ME_Win2008
- Windows® Small Business Server 2003/2008/2011
- Windows® Server 2003 - Standard or Enterprise (x86 or x64)
Supported Mail Servers
GFI MailEssentials can be installed on the following mail servers without any further configuration.
- Microsoft® Exchange Server 2016
- Microsoft® Exchange Server 2013
- Microsoft® Exchange Server 2010
- Microsoft® Exchange Server 2007 SP1 or higher
- Microsoft® Exchange Server 2003
GFI MailEssentials can also be installed in an environment with any SMTPSimple Mail Transport Protocol compliant mail server. In this case, GFI MailEssentials should be installed on the gateway/perimeter server so that spam is filtered before reaching the mail server.
GFI MailEssentials can be used with the following Internet browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or later
- Google Chrome version 22.0.1229.94 (October 10, 2012) or later
- Mozilla Firefox version 16.0.2 (October 26, 2012) or later.
Other required components
- Internet Information ServicesA set of Internet-based services created by Microsoft Corporation for internet servers. (IISInternet Information Services®) World Wide Web service
- Internet Information Services (IIS®) SMTP service - Except when installing on Microsoft® Exchange 2007 or later server
- Microsoft.NET® Framework 4
- WCF HTTPHypertext Transfer Protocol - A protocol used to transfer hypertext data between servers and internet browsers. Activation - required when using SpamTag plugin for Microsoft Outlook
- Windows® Authentication role and Static Content services - Required when installing on Microsoft® Windows Server 2008/2008 R2
- Microsoft Exchange Server MAPIMessaging Application Programming Interface Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 when installing on Microsoft Exchange 2007 or later.
- Microsoft XML core services - Installed automatically by GFI MailEssentials when installing on a US/UK English operating system.
- MSMQMicrosoft Message Queuing Services - Microsoft® Messaging Queuing Service - for more information refer to:
GFI MailEssentials can also be installed in virtual environments such as Microsoft® Hyper-V and VMWare virtualization software.
- Microsoft Virtual Server cluster group resource with a physical disc cluster. This is required ONLY for environments running Microsoft® Exchange 2003 clusters.
For more information refer to Microsoft® Exchange 2003 Clusters.
For more information on how to create a Resource Group for an Exchange Virtual Server in a Windows Server Cluster, refer to: http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=ME_Clusterresourcegrouphowto.