Upgrading from version 20
This topic describes how to upgrade a GFI MailEssentials 20 installation to the latest version while retaining all settings.
Important notes before upgrading
- Follow these notes and instructions to upgrade your current GFI MailEssentials 20 installation to the latest version while retaining all settings.
- Ensure your server meets the system requirements.
- Upgrade is not reversible; you cannot downgrade to the previous version after upgrading.
Export the GFI MailEssentials settings before upgrade. This backup may be useful in case the upgrade fails. For more information refer to Exporting and importing settings manually.
- Save any pending work and close all open applications on the machine before starting the upgrade.
- Log on to your current GFI MailEssentials server as an Administrator or using an account with administrative privileges.
- Click Download Upgrade above to download the latest build on the server where GFI MailEssentials is currently installed.
- Download the latest build of GFI MailEssentials on the server where GFI MailEssentials is currently installed. Go to this link, click Login and key in your GFI Account credentials.
- Right-click the newly downloaded installer and choose Properties. From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Launch the installer.
- Follow the wizard steps to start the upgrade installation. The new version of GFI MailEssentials is automatically installed in the same directory as the previously installed version.
- If GFI MailEssentials is installed on a server that also includes Microsoft® Exchange, the Post Installation wizard displays the list of Microsoft® Exchange server roles detected and the GFI MailEssentials components required. Click Next to install the required components and complete the wizard.
- On upgrade completion, test mail flow and mail filtering.