This issue can present two different symptoms:
- Dashboard shows no email is being processed at all.
- Dashboard shows only inbound or only outbound emails are being processed.
The cause is typically a misconfiguration of the sources of emails that should be scanned by GFI MailEssentials. It may happen at different levels:
- Wrong MX records.
- Domains not listed.
- Mail routing issues.
- GFI MailEssentials needs the domain to be listed under Local Domains to be scanned. For more information refer to Local domains.
- Ensure that GFI MailEssentials is not disabled from scanning emails. For more information refer to Disabling email processing.
- Check for multiple Microsoft® IIS SMTP virtual servers and ensure that GFI MailEssentials is bound to the correct virtual server. For more information refer to SMTP Virtual Server bindings.
- MX record for domain not configured correctly. Ensure that the MX record points to the IP address of the server running GFI MailEssentials. If inbound emails are passing through another gateway, ensure that the mail server running on the other gateway forwards inbound emails through GFI MailEssentials.
- Ensure that outbound emails are configured to route through GFI MailEssentials. For more information refer to Installing on an email gateway or relay/perimeter server.