Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform memory checks to help prevent malicious code from running on a system.
If you installed GFI MailEssentials on an operating system that includes DEP, you will need to add the GFI MailEssentials scanning engine (GFiScanM.exe) and the Kaspersky Virus Scanning Engine (kavss.exe) executables.
This is required only when installing on Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 SP 1 or SP 2.
To add the GFI executables in the DEP exception list:
1. From Control Panel open the System applet.
3. Click Data Execution Prevention tab.
4. Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
5. Click Add and from the dialog box browse to:<GFI MailEssentials installation path>\GFI\MailEssentials\EmailSecurity, and choose GFiScanM.exe.
6. Click Add and from the dialog box browse to: <GFI MailEssentials installation path>\GFI\MailEssentials\AntiVirus\Kaspersky\, and choose kavss.exe.
7. Click Apply and OK to apply the changes.
8. Restart the GFI MailEssentials Autoupdater service and the GFI MailEssentials AV Scan Engine services.