Initiating group chat in instant messaging
New in Kerio Connect 8.2!
If you use instant messaging in Kerio Connect and want to chat with multiple users and share thoughts with all of them together, you can create a temporary chat room, i.e. group chat.
Kerio Connect does not require any additional settings to use group chats.
The server address for group chats is
conference.[your_domain_name], for example
This article describes group chat in:
For information on initial configuration of instant messaging clients, read article Configuring clients for instant messaging.
- In your Pidgin, click Buddies > Join a Chat.
- Select account, type a room name, server, your nickname (Handle).
- Click Join.
- To configure the chat room (e.g. secure the room with a password), click Configure Room and set parameters.
You cannot change the parameters later.
- Confirm the settings.
To invite people to a group chat, drag them from your contact list to the room list or click Conversation > Invite.
If you receive an invitation, click Accept to join the group chat.
You can also search through existing chat groups by clicking on Buddies > Join a Chat > Room List > Find Rooms.
To leave a room, close the chatroom window.
To create a group chat, add at least two users to a conversation.
- Initiate a conversation in Messages.
- Add users to this conversation.
Users receive an invitation and you can start chatting.
To invite people to a multi user chat room, click the blue plus icon and invite users.
To join a group chat, select it from the list of chats and click Accept.
To leave a chat room, delete it from the list of chats.
- In your Psi, click General > Join Groupchat.
- Type a conference host, room name, server, your nickname.
If you want to protect the chat room, type a password.
- Click Join.
- To configure the chat room (e.g. secure the room with a password), click the down arrow above the user list and select Configure Room.
- Apply the settings.
To invite people to a group chat, select a person in your contact list and click Invite To.
To accept an invitation to a group chat, double-click the invitation text inside the event dialog and click Join.
To leave a room, close the chat room window.